Achieve gender equality
and empower all women
How remittance families contribute to the goal
- • Women migrant workers now comprise half of all remittance senders: 100 million in total.
- • Remittances transform the economic role of women both on the sending side and receiving end through financial independence and better employment opportunities.
- • While women remit approximately the same amount as men, women tend to send a higher proportion of their income regularly and consistently, even though they generally earn less than men.
- • Recognize that 50 per cent of all migrant workers are women and empower them to overcome the traditional bias against financial independence and control.
- • Invest in advisory services for women to meet entrepreneurial aspirations, improve income management and ultimately enable family reunification.
- • Expand gender-sensitive financial services and sensitize remittance service providers on gender and migration dynamics.